The following alert was provided to the LVCA by the Greenbank Community Police Center
In the past few weeks there have been reports of an individual aggressively engaging in door to door sales.
It is important to understand that not every door to door salesperson is out to scam you; they may in fact represent a legitimate business. Keep your guard up and use the below safety tips to assess if this is a scam or legitimate offer.
What can you do - Safety Tips:
- Request to see their ID and check it closely
- Be wary if they say “We’re from your current water heater provider, utility or local municipality”, “We need to see your current bills”, “We can replace your device free of charge”
- Call the organization they’re representing to verify the information provided to you
- Don’t let them inside your home under any circumstance
- Request a pamphlet be left with you so that you can review it on your own time and make an informed decision. Don’t be pressured to sign a contract on the spot.
- If they are rude or insist on coming into your home, ask them to leave and/or call the police
Cst Sue Wright
Greenbank Community Police Center
1343 Meadowlands Drive
Tel: 613-236-1222, ext. 2179